Wednesday, November 2, 2011

77: Braised Goat Neck / Roasted Asparagus / Wild Black Rice

I shop at many a place to find my meat, veggies, and fruit. I was surprised to find goat neck slices at Safeway, but I was more than intrigued with what I could do with the cut. Goat is generally a leaner meat, incredibly low in fat, so you can’t sear it with salt and pepper, or it dries out in a bad way. I knew I wanted to braise it to soften up what can be a tougher texture if only sautéed. Goat is practically made for slow cooking. The result is tender, succulent, and mouthwatering.

I looked around the pantry, and I found a box of wild rice. I also spied some asparagus in the fridge. Thus, I found compliments to go with the goat.

Ingredients and Directions:

2 goat neck slices, bone in, fat trimmed
1/2 shallots, thinly sliced
1/2 carrots, diced
1/2 cup celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
Bouquet garni (parsley, oregano, rosemary, thyme)
1 cup hearty red wine
1 cup beef stock
1 cup fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 cup cultivated wild rice
Olive Oil
Salt + pepper

Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a dutch oven. Brown the neck slices for 4-5 minutes per side. Remove to a plate, and add more olive oil to the same pan. Sauté the shallots, carrots, celery, and garlic, with salt and pepper for 6 or 7 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally. Stir in the red wine, bring to a boil, add goat slices back, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. The wine should have reduced by half at this point.

Now add the tomatoes and its juices and beef stock to the pot with the bouquet garni, and stir well to mix everything together, pushing the bouquet garni down into the juices. Bring to a boil once more, reduce heat as low as you can, cover and cook for 90 minutes. The end result should be incredibly tender veal and a somewhat thick sauce. Cook a little longer if need be.

Cook rice according to package. It should take about 50-60 minutes, so time it against the dutch oven. Roast asparagus spears in salt and pepper 6 minutes before plating the meal.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment