Tuesday, June 21, 2011

57: Farmer's Market "Frittata"

I hadn’t been grocery shopping in a minute, so it was a challenge to throw together breakfast this past Sunday. Lucky for me I had a bunch of random veggies in my refrigerator and eggs to boot. Frittatas traditionally are baked in a dish and look more like quiche. Sometimes they are also considered open-faced omelets. This is my interpretation of a frittata. I call it a farmer’s market because of the number of different vegetables that would turn out rather well with this dish that, surprise, can be found at farmer’s markets, where I do the bulk of my food shopping anyways.

Ingredients and Directions:

4 eggs, beaten, dived in half
Handful of kale, shredded
Fennel, diced
Cremini mushrooms, diced
Red onion, diced
Cheddar cheese, thinly slice
Garlic powder
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Heat olive oil in two separate 8 inch pans over medium high heat. Now add two eggs’ worth to each pan once oil is hot and season to your liking. Also began sautéing your veggies in an additional pan.

The trick to the eggs is to not overcook it on one side so as not to produce a rubbery frittata, but cook it enough that you can flip the eggs in the pan without it falling apart on you. I think I cooked it on one side for about 2-3 minutes, and then flipped it over very carefully. Once flipped, place cheese on the top. Cook for a few minutes more. Remove frittatas from pans, with the cheesy side up on the plate. Add your sautéed veggies.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment