Saturday, April 16, 2011

45: Carrot Soup w/ Curry & Ginger

It’s pouring rain in DC with wind gusts up to 60mph, so I did my thing with another soup while Mother Nature did her thing outside. Truth is, I received a pound of carrots in my farm club delivery this week, and I had just bought a bag of carrots earlier this week. I now have two quarts of soup in my refrigerator, this soup and the roasted butternut squash soup from yesterday (see next post down).

This is quick (with a food processor), delicious and incredibly healthy. Carrots are one of those super foods you hear people talk about. They are rich in beta-carotene for the eyes, help keep the arteries clear and are also considered an anti-cancer food. Yup, start eating more carrots. I heaped two tablespoons of curry powder in this, and I think it was a tablespoon too many. Still, there was a nice balance of flavors, and I garnished the soup bowl with a little bit of greek yogurt. The yogurt helps with the spiciness. 

Ingredients and Directions:

1.5 lbs of carrots, diced
1 liter of veggie stock (can sub chicken stock)
1 medium onion, diced
1 tbsp of curry powder
1 tbsp of ginger powder
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp of parsley, minced
Olive oil
Salt to taste

Rev up that food processor! It will make the prep goes much quicker. Heat olive oil over medium heat, and then sauté the onions for 5-7 minutes once the oil is heated.  Add the spices, cook for a couple minutes to meld the flavors. Now add the carrots and stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off heat, and puree until creamy with a hand blender. Add salt as necessary at end to bring out flavors.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment