Tuesday, March 8, 2011

37: Roasted Pacific Cod / Wild Mushrooms / Zucchini Puree

One of my favorite neighborhood stores, P & C Market, had a freezer sale recently, where everything was 50% off in order to defrost the freezer for restocking its seasonal selection. I scored a bag of Wild Alaskan Cod and Wild Alaskan Salmon as well as some foie gras. They also have a great wine selection at this store. This is a store where I usually peruse the entire selection before buying anything because I never know what they’ll have in their cases. I usually end up with more than what I was shopping for because the selection is that much fun. Anyways, the cod gave me an idea for a tasty plate of food.

Cod is mild, moist, and flaky – a versatile white fish that can be made with many recipes. I had some zucchini and wild mushrooms in the refrigerator, and this meal is what I ended up making. Zucchini is a savory vegetable full of vitamins, and the intensely woody combination of cremini and shiitake mushrooms round out an earthy dish. The crisp texture of the outside of the fish provides a nice contrast to the soft vegetables. I add very little seasoning to let the natural flavors stand out.

I normally cook for two, but I was only cooking for myself this time around. You can easily multiply the ingredients if you decide to make it for more than just one person. In fact, I would probably triple the vegetable amounts. Try this; I think you will like it.

Still to come: Basil-Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients and Directions:

5 oz cod filet
1/8 cup flour
1/2 a zucchini, chopped
1/3 cup wild mushrooms, chopped
Olive oil
Butter (optional)
Salt and pepper
Garlic powder (optional)

Boil zucchini in water for 10 minutes. Test it with a fork to make sure it’s almost mushy. Dredge fish in flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper. Drain zucchini from water and add back to pot on low heat for 1-2 minutes to evaporate any water residue. Turn off the heat , and now heat one tablespoon of oil each in two separate pans over medium heat. Add less than a tablespoon of butter to pan for mushrooms. Season the zucchini with salt, pepper, and optional garlic powder. Start pureeing the zucchini with either a hand blender or food processor while the oil and butter heat up. Add fish and mushrooms to the pans and season accordingly. Cook fish for 4-5 minutes on each side. Reduce heat on mushrooms to low after adding them to the pan. Continue pureeing zucchini to desired consistency, and cover to keep warm while everything else cooks. Arrange your food on a plate when fish is done.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment