Tuesday, February 22, 2011

31: Swordfish Salad / Arugula / Tomatoes / Bacon / Olive Oil & Balsamic Dressing

I made this salad after a workout last week, and I decided to make it again today because it was just that good. This is a simple and hearty salad. It’s also versatile as you could swap any number of ingredients in/out, and it would probably still be good.

I chose swordfish because I like meatier white fishes with flavor, and the price couldn’t be beat at the market. You probably see a lot of salmon and tuna salads for the same reason I like swordfish on mine. Light fishes don’t work as well, in my opinion. I added crispy bacon bits because I just ran five miles, and I thought I would treat myself. It’s good to do that every once in a while. Plus, I think pork makes everything better. The fresh tomatoes provide a nice contrast to the cooked fish, and the crumbled pita chips provide a little texture. You could also sub any kind of nut for the pita chips for the same effect. Get creative with it!

Ingredients and Directions:

¼ lb swordfish, cubed (I bought a pound and cut 4 portions)
2 good handfuls of arugula
1 tomato, cut in eighths
1 strip of bacon (optional)
3 wholegrain pita chips, crumbled
Olive oil
¼ of a lemon
Balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper

Cut a piece of bacon in half, and cook over medium heat until crispy (about 5 minutes) in an eight inch pan. Wrap bacon in a paper towel, and use another paper towel to wipe the grease and pan clean. Break bacon into small pieces when cooled off.

Season swordfish with salt and pepper, and pat the seasoning into the skin. Heat a tablespoon of oil over medium heat in the same pan the bacon was cooked in. The pan should still be hot, so the oil will only need about 30 seconds to warm up. Cook swordfish for 2-3 minutes per side.

Place arugula in a bowl, add fish to the center, arrange tomatoes around the fish, and add the pita chips and bacon bits now. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to salad, drizzle olive oil and balsamic over the top, and squeeze the lemon over the whole dish.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment